Monday, January 15, 2007

Welcome to 1997!

This weekend Larry and I finally had cable and an internet connection installed at our house. We really just needed to change our phone service and get an internet connection since I'll be doing some work from home soon, but it was about the same price to bundle in cable. All weekend Larry kept telling me, "Welcome to 1997. Now we're right on track to get cell phones in a couple of years when we hit 1999." (I promise it's not that we're that cheap; we don't want to watch too much tv so we didn't have cable, and Larry and I have both always had internet access at school and work and we wanted to avoid spending too much time online at home in the rare moments that we have to spend together).

I think Larry may have topped his longest shift record this weekend. He worked form 6 a.m. on Friday to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday (which is more than a little illegal, but he couldn't leave without treating all of his patients). He got home just in time to see our little visitors who spent the day entertaining me on Saturday.

Aren't they cute? They are extremely well mannered so watching them was pretty fun.
And now you get to meet my newest full-time companions:

They are not so cute! I had a meeting with a dietician and learned to test my blood-sugar levels this morning, right before I picked up a delicious birthday cake for a coworker from Mozart's bakery (Have you been there? It's amazing, but it's torture when you can't eat sugar). I have to head to the pharmacy tonight to pick up some more needles for the lancet. Yikes!


7 comments:

lisa h. said...

after the baby, I will gladly accompany you to Mozarts anytime! did you get my blog to work! sorry - i hope you didn't think i cut you off from it!

I am Laura said...

I am so sorry you have to worry about your sugar intake. At least it is just till you have the baby. I have to tell you that Ben and I just got cell phones for the first time a few months ago because we have been spending so much time apart and we also don't have cable. We do have high speed internet and I can't live without it.

Anonymous said...

Ah - the sacrifices of motherhood! At the end you'll get to trade in your blood sugar monitor for a super-cute baby boy! :) I can sympathize on the cable, we don't have it either, but we occasionally entertain the idea.

Anonymous said...

Who needs cable? There is nothing good to watch anyway and it is such a time waster. It just gives dad more channels to flip through. We have enjoyed Netflicks. Dad is into the foreign films and we've seen some good ones. We love working on the laptop at night though. So, wireless internet is a must. I think I do need a blog though. I've been writing ideas down about what I could include that might be interesting to you my children (who else would read it?) Maybe you could help me with that when I come for the baby. Love ya! Mom

Reba said...

Your newest companion on the left LOOKS kind of like a cell phone. So, maybe it's 1998?

Melinda said...

Oh, you so don't deserve this as part of your pregnancy! But maybe it will make you feel better? Just hoping for you!

Anonymous said...

That's what you get for being so perfect otherwise. Karma had to get you to level things out - being so creative, smart, attractive (I could go on...)