Wednesday, April 01, 2009

I hope it runs in our genes

Larry and I are not so handy, but luckily my dad is.  We spent the weekend staying with my parents in Provo.  Late Friday night, my dad asked what the plans were for Saturday morning.  I said, "You're building a shelf for Creed's room, remember?" Which he couldn't possibly remember because that was never the plan, but it didn't stop me from showing him a picture of the bookcase they used to sell at Pottery Barn that I wish I owned.

The next morning my mom and I were getting pedicures (Doesn't that make it sound like I live a life of luxury?  Truthfully, it was the second pedicure that I have ever had thanks to my mom treating) and my mom hands me her cell phone and my dad says, "If I use poplar it's going to be a little expensive.  Is that what you want?" He was actually at Lowe's buying wood to make the shelf!!!!!  I was only half joking the night before.  I really wanted the shelf, but I know that he's busy, and I didn't really think he would drop everything and make it the next morning!!!!

We settled on pine and he got to work.  It think the whole thing cost less than $40 thanks to the free labor.
Now, if you know me, you know I own a million books and our house is full to the brim with bookcases, but this one was different.  I really wanted a shallow bookcase for Creed's room so the books would face out, and Creed can see the covers.
We've been in a bit of a reading rut.  He chooses the same books over and over again, and I figured I could rotate new books into the bookshelf in his room and hopefully inspire Creed to explore some new titles.  And if we're going on a trip to the farm, I can stock it with books about farms or stock it with Christmas books at Christmas time or maybe we'll have an alphabet book week or . . . 
This may seem very impractical because we own so many books and this shelf doesn't hold a lot, but it already seems to be working its charms and today we've already read five new books Creed's never been interested in before.
Now I just have to decide what color to paint it.  I'm indecisive because someday we will move and Creed will not have apple green walls.  White just seems too boring though.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's the exact kind of bookcase I want!! Lucky your dad made it for you! :)

Elle said...

Excellent idea, Stephanie!

I miss you guys! Creed got so big!

Greta said...

I pick red, yellow, or turquoise. Not sure why. Just 'cuz.

Stephanie Ford said...

Emily, They actually have a similar shelf on Walmart's website for under $100

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6115301

I don't think they carry it in stores though.

Shar said...

your dad is awesome! I'm thinking maybe I need to make the same request of mine...though with him living in CA, the cost of gas to bring it here might make the price go up a bit. :) That is such a cool idea. So how did you get Creed to treat pages well? Kapria still eats them...so we're stuck with board books for awhile.

Testing said...

i love that- have to show John... see if he takes the hint.

lisa h. said...

that is great! and how fun for creed to have something like that that grandpa built. mmm i wonder if joe could build it, he loves stuff like that.

Noelle said...

What a great idea! I love those bookcases and with your love of books, I'm very glad you got one for Creed (or should I say, "had one made" :) I will definitely be investing in one myself some day.

I LOVED all the details you shared on your yellow party, you are too creative for your own good. But I sure love getting ideas from you!

ellen said...

Love the cool shelf! I would paint it a darker apple green and you can always repaint it if you want to!

Krystal Trapnell said...

That's the kind of shelf I want, too. Lucky!

TX Girl said...

I actually have a friend that made the exact same rack with her husband. I've been meaning to guilt my husband into making one for me. Although, he isn't nearly as handy as your dad, so I'm certain it will be a long process. You have quite the thoughtful dad.

Shauna said...

If I begged and pleaded, do you think your dad would make me one? What an amazing talent! I'm going to email you - we're going to be out there in a couple weeks and are hoping that we'll get to see you guys.

Heather said...

So, I'm getting excited for the big move and at our new house, I want to make an open bookshelf like this. Or maybe more than one . . . Does your dad have any tips or measurements he'd like to share??