Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Peace in the Valley

Our sweet Grandpa Ford passed away in the early hours of Thursday morning. Of course we love and adore all of our grandparents, but we had an extra-special relationship with Grandpa Ford. Larry's dad was his only child so when he passed away nine years ago, all Grandpa Ford had left were his three grandchildren and they meant the world to him.

I'll admit, it hasn't always been easy; how do you tell a parent they need to stop driving, let alone a grandparent who thinks of you as just a kid? And how do arrange much needed care for him when you all are attending school in different states and he is not willing to move? (the answer is my mom who devoted so much of her life these past few year for helping him. We will always be so grateful)

Grandpa Ford missed wife and his son terribly and wanted nothing more than to be with them again. He had poor health which lead to a very poor quality of life and he was ready to go. We all feel so grateful that it worked out to be just the way he wanted it; at home, with all his grandkids at his side and great grandsons playing on the floor. He was very lucid and talked with each of us, he was even cracking jokes, which is why Larry and Scott have big smiles on their faces in this photo. Then he fell alseep and passed away quitely a few hours later.
The days since then have seemed sort of surreal. We're all happy because we know this was best for Grandpa Ford and he is happy, but there's also a mix of tears because we miss him.

Wednesday night I could not settle Creed down to sleep. I spent over an hour laying with him and he kept telling me, "Somebody coming, Mama!" I didn't think much of it and eventually gave up putting him to sleep at Grandpa's and sent him to my mom's. He woke up at about the exact time Granpa Ford passed away. He was bawling and my mom couldn't comfort him so she brought him back to Grandpa's. The first thing he said to me is, "Somebody's here now, Mama. Somebody's here now." Since then he has told me several times that he misses Grandpa. We miss him too.
It's been so strange being so young and planning a burial, submitting an obitutary, and figuring out Grandpd Ford's estate. He didn't want a funeral, just a small graveside ceremony with just the grandkids. He wanted us to say a prayer dedicating the grave and then he wanted the song "Peace in the Valley" (which none of us had heard of even though everyone from Elvis to Faith Hill seems to have their own version). We did our best to honor his wishes.
After the service we stopped at the Provo cemetery to put some of the flowers on Larry's dad's grave, then it was off to Chuckarama in honor of Grandpa Ford, because it would have been just want he would have wanted.There's so much left to do and we've been busy cleaning out Grandpa's house because keeping busy is a good distraction. It's much easier to focus on the task at hand than to think about what is missing.

18 comments:

Heather said...

Steph, Larry and Creed - our hearts and prayers are with you. May you find comfort along with the missing. Please call if you want to talk.

Diana said...

Although we don't know one another, please know that I'm thinking of you at this time. Thoughts, prayers, and hugs your way.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I wish you peace in your hearts at this time.

lish said...

Oh, Steph and Larry - I'm so sorry for your loss.

Even though I only met Grandpa Ford once, he made such an impression on me. I think he said I was "a helluva girl" or something like that.

He will be missed, and your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Alissa said...

my condolences and love for your family. I had the amazing priveledge of meeting Grandpa Ford many times. He was always hysterical. Such a great man!

Reba said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Shar said...

I loved reading your beautiful post about Larry's grandpa. I could feel love and peace through your words, and I hope that you are feeling that now, even or especially on the hard days.

KIC said...

What a beautifully written post with treasured pictures. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Taunya said...

so very sorry for your loss. I will be praying that the peace that surpasses all understanding will be like a comforting blanket to your souls. God bless you all!

Nikki said...

Oh Steph and Larry, we are so sorry. We love you and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs to all three of you.

taniawillis said...

oh sweetie....what a beautiful post about your Grandpa. i'm so sorry for your loss. it's clearly evident that he was surround by those he loved. ((((HUGS))) and prayers as you continue to handle his affairs.

Elisa said...

What a lovely simple funeral. That is a man after my own heart.

Larry said...

Thanks for doing this post Steph. While I'm crying now, it was great to relive (and more importantly have documented) the past few days that you appropriately described as surreal.

Grandpa Ford will be missed.

Kate said...

*HUGS*

Bryt, Liz (Ed), and Ellie Christensen said...

I am also sorry for your loss...you capture pictures and moments so well with your camera. It is hard to lose those we love. Know we are thinking about you and let me know if i can do anything to help. =)

Amber said...

Death is always easier when you feel they are in a better place. I was touched by your son's ability to recognize that "someone" was coming. It's true..little children truly are in touch with the spirit and closer to the veil than any of us imagine.

Mom said...

Larry & Stephanie -

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much Grandpa Ford meanto to you both - big hugs to you, Mom Cat

s_delgrosso said...

Oh Stephanie - what beautiful words you write, and on the intuition of little Creed. So sorry for your loss. I am sure his spirit will be with you always. Love, Sarah