Friday, July 30, 2010

We Loved With a Love That Was More Than Love

Did I mention that earlier this month not-Laurence and I had our nine-year anniversary? (growing up, my favorite book was Little Women so when I started seriously dating Larry in college, my roommates said, "You found your Laurie!" and I had to explain that Larry is NOT short for Lawrence, it's really just Larry, but he's actually better than Laurie so I'm happy that he's himself and not Laurence. Nine years later, they still refer to him as Not-Laurence.)

Years ago, I might have imagined our ninth anniversary might be celebrated in some grand adventure. In truth we're so caught up with life and wrapped up raising these two little boys that simple gestures seem quite grand, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Larry surprised me by arranging for Tai and Kersten to watch the boys just down the street while we slipped out to dinner at a neighborhood restaurant (Ollie is still not ready to be without us for long nor am I ready to be away from him). Meanwhile, I filled several small secret message capsules with love notes and spent the evening sneaking them to him (and actually succeeded. I even got two in his pockets without him noticing, but my heart was racing every time I tried).
I laugh a little at us as I think back about it, but I love that we still find occasion to sneak around and surprise each other with little things. I think Not-Laurence is growing even more charming with age.

6 comments:

Carlye said...

You guys are cute. Not Laurence.... that's awesome.

Connie Krebs said...

Love those secret message capsules!

Anonymous said...

you are so sweet. what a kind, genuine person. congrats to you and Not Laurence!

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

Wow! 9 years! You guys are so great and make the perfect couple. Congratulations!

Larry said...

I'm a lucky man indeed!

Anonymous said...

Where did you purchase the capsules from?